Austin Winter Storm Relief
At Float On we are purveyors of water fun, sun fun, and general warm weather fun. This past cold February week has been the opposite for all our fellow Texans. We know in a couple weeks we’ll have warm weather again and people will be out on the lake, riding bikes, hiking, and enjoying a margarita on a patio. Until then, we are here for our friends, coworkers, and community. We will use this weeks blog to link to some helpful resources for getting through the aftermath of icepocolypse 2021.
Meals, Water, and More:
- Kxan has compiled a list of restaurants giving out free food and water today. Our friends at Deep Eddy Vodka, Bumble, and Kendra Scott are among the donors to get free hot food out to anyone who can get there.
- FREE WATER- Eater had compiled a list of restaurants, breweries, and other establishments giving away free drinkable water. All you need is a container. Some container ideas: coolers, old jugs in your recycle bin that haven’t been picked up, pasta pots with some duct tape to hold the lid on, even a trash can with a trash bag in it.
- Austin360 has a great list for free meals as well
- For those of y’all who want to stay out of the grocery line madness, here’s a great list by Eater of restaurants open that will continue to be updated.
- Pet food stores as per Reddit: HealthyPet at Arbor Trails, Hill Country Galleria and Seaholm from 10-5pm. Dogs around Austin off of Oak spring drive is open for retail shopping they carry lots of different and healthy dog food. Paws on chicon- cash only limited pet food but still open. Tomlinson Feed stores open till 5 on multiple locations- airport, 12th street, allandale, belterra, cedar park, circle c, far west, lake way, Leander, new braunfels, round rock, south Lamar. Pet’s Mart locations were open as of 2/18 as well.
- Roads Today (friday 2/19): Roads are clear on most major highways, thoroughfares, and roadways. Watch out for shaded areas, under overpasses/bridges, overpasses/bridges that have ice still.
- Ice/Snow melting: Be VERY careful under overhangs, roofs, carports, and large trees holding snow and sheets of ice, as they may fall right on your noggin. The hospitals are jammed up and some don’t even have water, so be careful and leave the risky business for another day.
- Plumbing: If you’ve got a burst pipe, turn off the water at the street! When dealing with insurance, be sure to take lots of pics, be very detailed and specific on personal items that have been damaged, and call your agent ASAP once something happens.
How You Can Help
Statesman has compiled a list of ways we can help out our fellow neighbors, check it out here!
Besides donating, if you’ve got water holler at your friends and family and see if they need a fill up or a shower. We have some sunshine and nice weather around the corner, so holler at Float On to enjoy the sun and heat!